Friday, February 10, 2012

Member Spotlight: Julia Chinnock

Hometown:   I grew up in Laramie, WY
College(s) Attended:  Nebraska Wesleyan University & Texas State University
Degree(s) earned:   BAs in Theatre Arts & Spanish (from NWU) & MA in Theatre History (from TxState)
Title:  Assistant Academic Advisor- -School of Undergraduate Studies
What are your hobbies? I wish I had something cool to say here like Xtreme underwater nunchuck fighting or something but I mostly like to cook (and bake), read books, see plays and play with my puppy, Avalanche

What was your favorite childhood toy? I really liked dolls — making clothes for them, dressing them up, decorating their houses — and my most favorite was my American Girl doll, Kirsten.  (For those not familiar with the American Girl, each doll is from a specific era and has a series of books in which each girl Learns a Lesson, Saves the Day or faces Changes.  Kirsten is a pioneer in the 185os so fit right in with my Little House on the Prairie obsession)
 
What is your current position at UT? Briefly explain:  I am currently an academic advisor in the Center for Strategic Advising in UGS.  My job is to meet with students who are undeclared, for one reason or another, and help them select a major and transition into that major.
Have you had any jobs prior to your current job at UT?  If so, what were they?  I previously worked in Career Services at UT-Arlington and WyoTech and was a lecturer at Texas State.  I have also worked as a theatrical costume designer, in a cupcake bakery, at a wedding gown boutique and at Yellowstone National Park.
What is the most challenging aspect of your current job? The most challenging aspect is UT itself!  The school is huge!  There are so many great majors!  There are so many awesome opportunities!  There is so much to learn in order to best help students connect with all these wonderful options!
Why/How did you decide to work in an institution of higher education?  I started working in Higher Ed as an RA at age 19 and fell in love with it.  I loved working with my fellow students solving problems, building relationships, connecting to the campus community.  The Higher Ed atmosphere celebrates learning, innovation, creativity and developing minds.  I can't live without that inspiration.  (Plus, the Christmas break isn't too bad, either!)

No comments:

Post a Comment