Friday, February 10, 2012

ACA Member Spotlight: Craig Gilden

Hometown:  Sugar Land, TX
College(s) Attended:   Lewis & Clark College, The University of Texas-Austin
Degree(s) earned:   B.A. Rhetoric and Media Studies, M.Ed. Higher Education Administration
Title:  Associate Academic Advisor--College of Liberal Arts:  Dean’s Office
What was your favorite childhood toy?  Star Wars action figures
What is your current position at UT? Briefly explain.  Associate Academic Advisor, College of Liberal Arts Dean's Office. The best part of my job is that I see such a variety of students for numerous reasons each day, so there is no "typical" day. I also enforce College policies and help coordinate various COLA programs/jobs.
Have you had any jobs prior to your current job at UT?  If so, what were they?  My first year after undergrad I worked as an Editor for a company called Country Media, which owns a lot of small town newspapers. I lived in a dairy farming town of 4,400 on the Oregon Coast. It was an interesting experience, but I realized pretty quickly that it wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.
What is the most challenging aspect of your current job?  The amount of information that I need to know. As soon as I think I have something down, I learn about an exception to that rule or policy. UT is just such a big and intricate organization that there is always new information to learn.
Why/How did you decide to work in an institution of higher education?  I wanted to work in a college setting with students because I had such a great and meaningful undergrad experience. This was only true because of the advisors, professors and coaches that influenced and taught me and I want to help students in the same way. 
What are your hobbies?  Playing any sport, hiking, eating at new restaurants, traveling/reading about traveling…I am getting married in December, so this year wedding planning is a "hobby".

No comments:

Post a Comment