Friday, October 7, 2011

Member Spotlight: Yma Revuelta

Hometown:  born in Brownsville, TX raised in Austin, TX
Colleges attended:  freshmen year was at the University of New Mexico (Go Lobos!) but transferred to UT San Antonio (Go Roadrunners!) then graduate school at Texas State University (Go Bobcats!).
Degrees earned:  UTSA for BBA in Marketing, TX State for M.Ed. in Counseling and Guidance with an emphasis in Student Affairs.
Title:  Senior Academic Advisor- Cockrell School of Engineering

Hobbies:  going to the movies [watching awesome and terrible movies], traveling, cooking, hanging out with my family and friends.
Favorite toy:  probably my two older sisters; can’t beat a real-life toy that will play back. At times they were my least favorite toys as well.
Current position:  Currently, I am a Senior Academic Advisor for the Cockrell School of Engineering, Student Affairs Office. I advise engineering undergraduate students for all engineering majors. In addition, I am the Graduation and Degree Auditor and Program Administrator for UT’s degree audit system for the Cockrell School. I work with awesome people (SHOUT OUT TO THE ENGINEERING SAO AND DEPARTMENTS!).
Other jobs:  I’ve had my share of customer service jobs during college but after I graduated I worked for an insurance company which was definitely not a good fit. One of my favorite jobs was a student worker position at UNM my freshmen year. I was hired to wash the dishes in a pharmacy lab but I ended up helping with research, in particular working with mice. But higher education is my calling so I’ve left the mice behind.  At UT, I previously worked as the Associate Academic Advisor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering. I served roughly 400 undergrads and advised on degree progression, curriculum issues, campus resources, coordinated events, etc. (you name it, I probably did it).
Challenges of current job:  I recently transitioned to the Engineering Student Affairs Office so the challenges have been learning as much information as possible but I am definitely enjoying this challenge; my colleagues and supervisors are wonderful!
Why do I work for higher edu:  I wanted to work in higher education when I first graduated from college. I finally made the leap and started graduate school for counseling. Working with students and my classmates made it clear that it was a good career match. But most of all working in the UT BME department for two internships sealed the deal. I love working with students and I love learning about student affairs. As for the future, we’ll see where higher education takes me but I’m pretty much here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment