Friday, October 14, 2011

Member Spotlight: Angie Martinez

Hometown:   born and raised in El Paso, TX

College(s) Attended:  The University of Texas at Austin 

Degree(s) earned:  Bachelor of Science in Applied Learning & Development

Title:  Program Coordinator- College of Education

What are your hobbies? Playing soccer in a women’s league on Sundays, watching football, especially the Longhorns, and jogging along the Lady Bird hike and bike trails.

What was your favorite childhood toy? It’s a tie between my neon pink bicycle and lime green rollerblades. I am an outdoors gal and loved riding my bike or rollerblading around my neighborhood.

What is your current position at UT? Briefly explain:    I am a Program Coordinator with the College of Education’s Student Dean’s office. I split my time between advising current and prospective students and coordinating college-wide events.

Have you had any jobs prior to your current job at UT?  If so, what were they?  Yes. I spent the last four years advising for the Longhorn Scholars Program. Prior to that, I taught 3rd grade for two years at Galindo Elementary. As an undergrad at UT, I worked for DHFS as a Resident Assistant and served as a FIG mentor.

What is the most challenging aspect of your current job? Finding a balance between advising and event planning.

Why/How did you decide to work in an institution of higher education? 
After my second year of teaching at the elementary school level, I realized I wanted to work with college students because of my positive experiences as an R.A. and FIG mentor. I applied for a position with the Longhorn Scholars Program and the rest is history…

No comments:

Post a Comment