Friday, October 7, 2011

Member Spotlight: Amy Caillavet

Hometown: Beaumont, Texas
College(s) Attended:  Loyola University Chicago
Degree(s) earned: B.A. Communication – Minor: Visual Communications
Title:  Program Coordinator- Cockrell School of Engineering

What are your hobbies? Going to the park with my dog, Link.
What was your favorite childhood toy? Super Nintendo – MarioKart
What is your current position at UT? Briefly explain.  I am a Program Coordinator in the Women in Engineering Program within the Cockrell School of Engineering.  I assist with planning and executing social and academic events and programs that encourage female Engineering students to stay engaged and interested in their Engineering education.  My other duties include management of our Student Office Assistants and maintaining the office accounting. 
Have you had any jobs prior to your current job at UT?  If so, what were they?  Prior to my employment at UT, most recently I was an Academic Advisor within the College of Engineering at Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas for 2 years – where I was nominated for Staff Advisor of the Year in 2010. 
What is the most challenging aspect of your current job?  As a new employee to the University of Texas, I’m starting fresh and having to learn many new computer programs that are integral to my job performance.  People don’t realize how many different programs they use on a daily basis until they start from scratch all over again – it’s quite a challenge!
Why/How did you decide to work in an institution of higher education?  I chose to work in higher education because I love working with students and it’s imperative that I have a job that will always keep me engaged, and there’s rarely a dull moment in higher education.  Also, I love the feeling of working at a University where there’s a great sense that everyone is an integral part of something big – we’re all working towards a common goal and helping students in any way we can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment