Thursday, March 24, 2011

James W. Vick Awards for Academic Advising

On March 24, 2011, five Academic Advisors were presented with the pretigious James W. Vick Awards for Academic Advising.  The Texas Exes James W. Vick Award for Academic Advising recognizes individuals who improve students’ overall experience at The University of Texas at Austin through outstanding advising. Each year, five winners are awarded $500 and are recognized with an awards ceremony in March. The nomination and selection process is done solely by students. At this year's awards ceremony, former Vice President of Student Affairs and Best Friend of ACA - James W. Vick - was in attendance to celebrate with the recipients and give remarks.  Leading ther program was Bill McCausland, Chief Operating Officer of The Texas Exes and keynote speaker, Victoria Rodriguez, Vice Provost & Dean of Graduate Studies.  The 2011 recipients were:
•Calina Coakwell: Academic Advisor, College of Liberal Arts
•Susan Gamel Holzaepfel: Academic Advisor, College of Education
•Jennifer McHam: Academic Advisor, College of Education
•Richard Ribb: Academic Advisor, College of Liberal Arts
•Brent Winkelman: Academic Advisor, Red McCombs School of Business



Award namesake James W. Vick

Vice Provost & Dean of Graduate Studies Victoria Rodriguez

Texas Exes Chief Operating Officer Bill McCausland

ACA President Andi Poag



The presentation of the certificates and monetary awards were made by the recipient's Assistant/Associate Dean, Dr. James W. Vick, Dr. Victoria Rodriguez, and Bill McCausland.


•Calina Coakwell: Academic Advisor, College of Liberal Arts
From Calina's nomination:  “I can honestly say that Calina’s positive attitude and advice have kept me in UT. When I graduate, I will first find Calina and tell her it’s because of her. I never thought I would get into the school, let alone graduate, and I can certainly credit Calina for her guidance along the way to help me achieve my greatest and most proud accomplishment. As students, we need someone to believe in us, and Calina is that person.”


•Susan Gamel Holzaepfel: Academic Advisor, College of Education
From Sue's nomination:  “She has shown us that we can do whatever we set our minds to and that we are all basically her children and that she will guide us to our graduation day.”


•Jennifer McHam: Academic Advisor, College of Education
From Jennifer's nomination: “Because of her, I know what I want to do when I get out of college. Her advice has helped me in an innumerable amount of ways. She has been a positive role model and is someone who I can trust if I ever have a problem.”


•Richard Ribb: Academic Advisor, College of Liberal Arts
From Richard's nomination:  “Richard is genuinely concerned for the well-being of his students. He not only helps students improve their academic experience in college, but also advises them on how to maintain a good quality of life. He sees the potential of his advisees and gave me the confidence to achieve my goals.”


•Brent Winkelman: Academic Advisor, Red McCombs School of Business
From Brent's nomination:  “While my plans have changed since my freshman year, one thing has not: Brent’s ability to motivate students and give them the most relevant information to make a decision. By teaching me to manage my expectations, Brent has shaped my success as a student leader.”



2011 James W. Vick Award Winners  



A big congratulations to our colleagues and huge thanks to The Texas Exes!

No comments:

Post a Comment