Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Member Spotlight: Jennifer McHam

James W. Vick Texas Excellence Award for Academic Advising Recipient
Hometown: Born in Bartlesville, OK
College(s) Attended:  Undergrad- Missouri State University/Grad- University of Central Missouri
Degree(s) earned: Undergrad-Bachelor of Science in Broadcast Journalism/Grad- Master of Science in College Student Personnel Administration
Title:  Program Coordinator- College of Education
What are your hobbies?  Cooking, baking, flower arranging, crafts
What was your favorite childhood toy?  Barbies
What is your current position at UT? Briefly explain:  Program Coordinator – I am an Academic Advisor and Events Coordinator.
Have you had any jobs prior to your current job at UT?  If so, what were they?  Hall Coordinator in Kinsolving North at UT & Residence Hall Coordinator at University of Central Missouri
What is the most challenging aspect of your current job?   Working with students who refuse to seek help and have completely unrealistic expectations.
Tell us about one of your success stories that happened in your current position (regarding a student, a co-worker, a project, etc.:  I realized the impact I have on students when a student told me that I was the first person at UT she really felt truly cared about her as a person.
What is your advising philosophy?  My advising philosophy is to provide guidance for students while allowing them autonomy to create their own future. I encourage self-sufficiency to promote confidence and personal growth in my students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment