Friday, March 8, 2013

Member Spotlight: Linda Mayhew

Hometown: Holmdel, NJ

College(s) attended: Kalamazoo College for undergrad and The University of Texas at Austin for graduate work.

Degree(s) earned: Kalamzaoo College, BA in English and Russian; University of Texas at Austin, MA and PhD in Slavic Literature and Languages.

Job Title: Academic Advising Coordinator.

What are your hobbies?  Horseback riding, cycling, and homebrewing.  I also like to work in my yard, crochet, travel, read, and cook.

What is your current job at UT? Advising Coordinator for Liberal Arts Honors and Humanities.  I also teach a class for our first-year honors students in the Spring.

How many years have you worked at UT?  I've worked full-time at UT since May 2005.  But before then I worked part-time in Athletics and as an Assistant Instructor and TA in the Slavic Department.

What is the most challenging aspect of your current job?  Time Management.  Sometimes there are so many things going on that I really need to plan my day out very carefully to make sure that I get everything done.

What is your favorite thing about your current job?  I wear a lot of different hats in my job and while that can be a challenge, I also love it. Aside from advising and teaching, I put together a biannual newsletter, plan several events like graduation receptions and the Humanities thesis symposium, read scholarship applications and help with admissions for Liberal Arts Honors.

Tell us about one of your success stories in your current position (regarding a student, co-worker, project, etc.)  Two years ago, I started the LAH Fall Bike Ride. Upper-class LAHers volunteered to lead small groups of first-year LAHers on bike rides around town – to Zilker Park, food trucks, Phil's burgers.  UT Orange Bike Project loaned bikes for the day to students who wanted to go on the ride and didn't have bikes on campus.  We had about 20 students participate in the ride, even though the ride took place in August and it was 97 degrees.  Another 12 students participated in a walk to Toy Joy and Spider House.  Everyone came back to our office for an ice cream party.  I was really excited about how the bike ride and walk turned out – our first years got a chance to meet some other LAHers, as well as find some places to eat and study near campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment