The May meeting was moved to the afternoon to accommodate the complicated May calendar. In an effort to celebrate SUMMER and take advantage of having a post-lunch ACA Meeting, New Student Services provided Amy's Ice Cream and toppings as an afternoon treat.
The team from NSS graciously sponsored our May meeting and used the meeting as an opportunity to update the advising community on the changes taking place for Summer Orientation 2011. Cristi Biggs, Assistant Dean of Students, attended a meeting earlier in the school year to preview the proposed changes, so this was an opportunity for ACA members to ask questions prior to the beginning of orientation in June.
Cristi Biggs, Kyle Clark, and Esmer Bedia present to ACA
ACA Awards and Recognition
2011 NACADA Awards
Wendy Boggs, ACA Awards & Recognition Chair, announced each of the UT NACADA Award recipients who will be recognized at the annual conference in Denver, CO in October 2011:
• Aida Gonzalez, College of Communication: Certificate of Merit – Outstanding Academic Advising- Primary Role
• Brad Popiolek, School of Undergraduate Studies: Certificate of Merit – Outstanding New Academic Advisor
• Longhorn Link, Division of Diversity and Community Engagement: Certificate of Merit – Outstanding Advising Program
• Wayfinder (coordinated by Brad Popiolek), School of Undergraduate Studies: Certificate of Merit – Advising Technology Innovation
ACA Student Scholarship
This year, we were able to award three student scholarships. All three were present at the ACA Meeting to recieve the scholarship.
• Doan Phan, Psychology senior - Peer Advisor for the Bridging Disciplines Program (UGS)
• Grisel Perez, Advertising junior - Peer Advisor in the Center for Strategic Advising (UGS)
• Rene Garcia, Undeclared junior - Peer Advisor in the Center for Strategic Advising (UGS)
ACA Scholarship Recipients Doan Phan, Grisel Perez, Rene Garcia
ACA Professional Development ScholarshipThis year's ACA Professional Development Scholarship was awarded to Andrea Chytil, Senior Academic Advisor in the McCombs School of Business Undergraduate Program Office. Andrea currently serves in the role of Secretary for the Academic Counselors Association.
Andrea Chytil receives her Professional Development Scholarship
Thanks to Wendy Boggs and the committee of people who assisted with Awards & Recognition this year. Additional thanks to all of you who took the time to nominate the candidates for the awards.
Wendy Boggs, ACA Awards & Recognition Chair
ACA Executive Committee Elections/Speeches
ACA Members wishing to lead our organization for 2011-2012 were given the opportunity to run for office. This year, 5 of the 6 election positions were given a "pass" because they were running uncontested. The membership agreed to elect the unopposed nominees, and as a result, did not get an opportunity to give their speech (next time you see one of them, maybe you can get a personal reading). The one contested office was for Secretary, so candidates Christine Anderson and Jennifer Jordan for this office were asked to give their speeches.
The rest of the Executive Committee will include:
- President: Theresa Thomas (after serving as President-Elect for a year)
- President-Elect: Nathan Vickers
- Vice President/Program Chair: Valeri Nichols-Keller
- Treasurer: Jay Guevara
- Public Relations Coordinator: Kristin Tommey
- Co-Historians: Lovelys Powell & Yesenia Sanchez